Vernon Main Street Program
The vision of the Vernon Main Street Program is that our central downtown area develops as the center of the community where residents and visitors can enjoy a vibrant and growing town with unique and diverse shopping and dining opportunities, with a continuing emphasis on our historic buildings and our cultural heritage as a farming and ranching community along the Great Western Trail.
To reach these goals, the Vernon Main Street Program works to enhance downtown vibrancy and historic preservation by implementing guidelines set forth by the National Main Street Center’s Four Point Approach, a national revitalization movement currently in place in more than 2,000 communities across the country. These four points include:
- Organization – builds partnerships among the various groups that have a stake in downtown; builds a pathway to leadership in local efforts by launching community-based, volunteer-driven nonprofit entities that empower residents and investors to collaborate for sustainable revitalization.
- Promotion – promotes a positive image of downtown to a variety of audiences; focuses on authentic community assets, with high-quality image development campaigns and events that will attract new shoppers, visitors, and residents
- Design – focuses on the physical elements of downtown such as storefronts, signs, landscaping, and public spaces; targets infrastructure and building improvements that lay the groundwork for a physical transformation that will be both functional and attractive.
- Economic Development– identifies new market opportunities for the downtown area; redefines the district’s niche in the marketplace and sharpens the competitiveness of existing businesses, while nurturing new enterprises that respond to today’s consumers’ needs.
The Main Street Program also makes the following services available to downtown businesses:
- Design assistance such as architectural site visits
- Vernon Main Street Beautification Program
- Historic Rehabilitation Grant Program.
- Economic Development Assistance
- Numerous events and activities to highlight downtown businesses
The Vernon Main Street Program is part of the Texas Historical Commission’s Texas Main Street Program. Vernon became an official Texas Main Street City in 2010 and is affiliated with the National Trust Main Street Center.
For additional information, you may visit the Vernon City Hall or call or email the Director of Tourism and Main Street, Clint McCormick, at (940)552-2581 or firstname.lastname@example.org.